Friday, August 15, 2014

Seeing Ourselves as We Are, Being Tolerant of Others

It's Frugal Festive Friday when we ask God for more of the gifts of faithfulness and gentleness.  I really need this today, as we come to the end of an exhausting week. Tonight, as we gather with our small group, we will seek to be a source of light.  My light is a little dim!!!

This is also a day when I focus on the virtue of tolerance, and boy do we need it.  I spent a very difficult summer and fall dealing with people who were totally racist and yet had convinced themselves that they weren't.  I'm sure it comes as a shock that these folks lived in St. Louis County, where bedlam has been raging over the shooting of an unharmed black kid. Having seen so much racism close up while working at a reporter in Mississippi and helping the poor get housing, I know how important tolerance is. Drive it down into my soul even more, O Lord. Help us to slow ourselves down so we can see the places where we do not love.


No comments:

Post a Comment